ENVIRONMENTALLY + SOCIALLY RESPONSIBLE PROCESSES
It is all very well looking at what raw materials are used in products but we also need to consider the processes used, in relation to how they are made, decorated, and delivered.
In this area we are striving to not only to do better from an environmental perspective but also a social one too.
This is an ongoing challenge, as the apparel industry is a very competitive industry that has resulted in consumers expectations on price to be incredibly low. In order to meet this expectation it generally results in people and nature being exploited.
We do not claim to be perfect but we will always be striving towards all processes of our business valuing empathy for our environment and people. These are not always easy but we are proud of what we have accomplished so far.
- NO TOXINS are used in the dye sublimation process thus protecting workers and the environment
- ZERO WASTE as no dye will get into the water system
- SAVING WATER Inkjet jobs can consume as little as 20 litres of water per kg of printed substrate – for cotton this can be as much as 10,000 litres per kg
Screen printing (water based)
Most people aren't aware that most screen printers use Plastisol ink, which is essentially liquid plastic. In this ink and when cleaning up after a lot chemicals are used.
At LUCKE, we offer water based inks that have been granted approval by the Soil Association in the UK, having successfully met the requirements of the Global Organic Textiles Standards (GOTS) for non-organic chemical inputs for use in organic textile processing.
Although depending on your project brief these inks can’t always be used, we aim to educate our clients on water based inks and try to point them in that direction.
We still have the capability to use Plastisol and do so when the project requires it, as we want our prints to be vibrant and long lasting.
Shipping + Packaging
This is an area of constant research, measurement, mitigation, offset, and new technology.
We aim to start implementing a measurement program for our international shipping, in order to calculate our greenhouse gas footprint and are prioritising working with DHL who are pioneering green logistics. Locally we are working with NZPost who are pushing towards carbon neutral delivery.
Is always an ongoing search for better solutions and our general rule is to minimise as much packaging as possible.
Solutions we are proud off so far:
- Home compostable courier bags
- Recycled card courier bags that are recyclable + compostable
- Courier labels + packing slips made from 60% wheat straw + 40% recycled wood
- Packing tape, made from 100 recycled FSC - certified paper, fully compostable and printed with renewable soy-based inks
Working Wage Standards
We recognise we have a shared responsibility to the workers conditions under which our products are made. This responsibility extends beyond just the factory workers, and includes anyone in that supply chain. Currently our range includes products that are:
- Fair Trade Certified
- Produced in Europe, under European standards which leads to safe working conditions and fair wages
As LUCKE is constantly on the research and development of new processes we wish to share and learn from our experiences. We have already posted a number of blogs on topics that we are passionate about and hope to expand this in the future.